Odissi is one of the major Indian classical dances, next to Bharata Natyam (South India) and Kathak (North India). It has its origins in the state of Odisha, in the east of India. This very flowing and graceful style is characterised by foot stamps, delicate movements of the chest and head, the mudras (position of the hands), the expression of emotions and the narration of poetic stories.
Our Odissi dance classes
Our courses are divided into several parts:
- the greeting (Bhumi Pranam)
- warming-up and preparatory exercises that are characteristic of the Odissi dance
- learning basic positions: chauka and tribhangis
- study of the technical vocabulary: positions of the feet (pada bedas), gesture of the hands (hasta mudras)
- learning a choreography from the Odissi repertoire (presented at the biennial show)
- Tuesday from 6.00 to 7.30 pm at Hybrid Studios
Intermediate level (min 2 years)
- Tuesday from 7.30 to 9.00 pm at Hybrid Studios
Online classes due to Coronavirus
Due to the sanitary situation, classes are online for the time being. They will resume indoors as soon as the health situation allows it. We will then welcome the students according to the authorized number and in respect of the sanitary instructions. Priority will be given to students who will have subscribed for the academic year or Semester.
Hybrid Studios - Avenue Fonsny 48, 1060 Brussel (Gare du Midi - map)